CHOCOLATE BANANA CAKE
Source : Joy of Baking
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (245 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (75 grams) cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium sized bananas) - i used pisang lemak manis
- 1 cup (240 ml) warm water
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) safflower or canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven.
- Butter, or spray with a non stick vegetable spray, a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) pan. (*I used non-stick ring pan as picture below). Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, mashed bananas, water, milk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir, or whisk, until combined. You will notice that the batter is quite thin.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. When completely cooled, frost with the Ganache.
(I didn't do this but just for my notes, I'll just paste it here as well) - akak pun x buat, lenkali laa..hehe
- 8 ounces (227 grams) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon (14 gram) unsalted butter
Garnish : (optional)Dried banana chips
Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized stainless steel, or heatproof bowl. Set aside. Heat the cream and butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. When Ganache has completely cooled, beat until soft and fluffy. Then spread the frosting on top of the cake. Can garnish with dried banana chips.